Saturday, May 21, 2016

STREET DOG AID-RIVERSIDE STRAY FEEDING

         Some days, I really wish I could just quit my job and focus entirely on helping the strays. The population is exploding, parvo virus is spreading and no one is doing anything about it. It's when things go out of hand, authorities step in and might start shooting down strays again. When I say shooting, I really mean guns and violence. It's brutal, but it happens here in Malaysia.

         If I am to realize my dream, I might as well try again. Few days ago, I got a message from a small time animal welfare activist about a mother dog and her puppies running dangerously by a highway. Even though she was a Muslim, she had rescued puppies before and would go feed the strays too. The puppy I'm currently fostering was also actually rescued by her. 

         She asked if I could help or knew anyone who could help relocate the dogs or just keep them fed. I told her I would do what I can. The plan I came up was to search for the dogs, feed them, get a few pictures and share it on social media to see if anyone could help further. The next day, I contacted a couple of my friends and was so relieved and happy that they agreed to come with me on the mission to help the strays.

       Searching for the dogs proved to be very difficult indeed, and the hot weather wasn't helping much either. After almost an hour of searching-mostly at all the wrong places and a phone call later, we finally found some stray dogs along with some puppies near the area we were suppose to be at. I'm still not sure if they were the ones we were looking for, but there wasn't any other dogs in that area.

Apprehension from the pups upon our arrival. Scho cute!
          Turns out, there was a homeless Indian uncle living with them and he along with a guy who occasionally shows up there were feeding this group of strays. It's so sad for both the homeless uncle and the dogs. If I knew about it, I would have brought some things for the uncle too. 

What got me worried most was the dog with the bloody ears. So sad.
The uncle said this one likes to fight and that's why he looks the worst.
            I should have asked more questions, but at the same time I just wanted to feed the dogs, take some pictures and get out of there. The safety of my crew came first and we were all girls in a secluded area with a stranger we may or may not trust. 

Finally warming up to our presence. After being fed, they were so friendly.
          All of the dogs there were male except for one black puppy which was a female. It worries me a lot since two of the dogs there were already fighting among themselves. Spaying and neutering them was always on my mind other than treating the skin problems, getting them vaccinated and finding them good homes. I have to accept the fact that this is all I am capable of doing right now and it's still better than nothing at all.

Shy eater.
Not so shy anymore.
The one with the light brown eyes was the most insecure compared to the others.
           It was difficult to leave them in the end, but there was nothing else we could do for them. I've just sent out the message not long ago to a few communities about their plight on social media and I pray they get the help they very much deserve. I and the girls might go back there in a months time to feed them again, but hopefully we don't have to. One thing for sure is, I'm never going back there without a man in our crew. Safer that way.

Din din.
         Never wanting to end an experience on a sad note, I treated the girls to some delicious dinner. Couldn't have done it without them. :)

Happy days!
Steph

2 comments:

  1. You're amazing,even just doing this,is something good that helps these pups and dogs out.As for taking the bunnies out on adventures,you would need to harness train them with a lead and you would need a pet stroller or carrier that you can wear on your front and with more than one bunny you would have to take them in turns except if you use a pet stroller.also you would only be able to have one bunny out on the lead at a time because they kinda want to go where they want to and you have to follow.though I can get Speedy to go where I go for a bit but not for long and that has taken 2 and half years of using a harness and lead.Ank way keep up with the good work what ever that little bit you can do,xx Rachel and Speedy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your support and kind words. It brings warmth to my heart. Wow! 2 years to harness train, but it was all worth it in the end. May Speedy enjoy more joyous adventures and I can't wait to see where he goes next. :)

    Happy days!
    Steph

    ReplyDelete